Saturday, December 30, 2006

Death of a Dictator

Thousands of rednecks and warmongers here in America are almost certainly celebrating the death of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, who was hanged last night in Iraq. His death to some, including our president, signifies “an important milestone on Iraq’s course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain, and defend itself.” While I remain reasonably moderate in my stance on the death penalty for such a diabolical tyrant, I think that ironically such a barbaric and gruesome death is a step in the wrong direction. His passing, if anything, is a simple reminder that brutality and hatefulness still run rampant in this new ‘democracy’. A life is a life regardless of how horrible the being may have been. By using this ancient and flawed “eye-for-an-eye” mentality the new Iraqi government isn’t embracing peace and advancement as a society, it is simply fueling the fire for dangerous riots, hatred, and confusion - Just what the world needs more of.


Po – memoriesforsale.blogspot.com


Labels:

Posted by Po @ 12:50 PM

Read or Post a Comment

Well for me in some ways I feel as if his former government was too light on him. In some ways, I think that being hung and in-turn becoming paralyzed and not feeling anything is far too easy. He was a tyrannical evil dictator who killed far too many of his own people. He was in some respects right up in the ranks of Adolph Hitler or Mussolini (sp). I think he should have been given the same punishment as his countless victims.

I do, however, understand that the main objective is peace in Iraq, and I don't exactly know how this is going to affect that goal in the long run. But as we all know Iraq needs a lot of work done before peace becomes an actuality. (For fuck's sake that is still an impossibility in America)

Basically, I think the right thing was done. I think that sometimes their needs to be justice. Sadaam being killed for the crimes he committed is justice. I don't know the numbers of people he murdered or anything, but I do know that he killed people in horrendous ways. All-in-all his death was the right thing to me.


-Flegal-

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ December 30, 2006 at 1:32 PM #
 

While I respect your opinion I feel that you and I have certain fundamental differences. A few years ago perhaps I would have agreed with you, but as time has moved on I’ve developed a more compassionate and peaceful way of looking at things. Saddam’s death actually brought a strange feeling of sadness over me. It wasn’t the fact that his life of terror had been ended, but the fact that the world is still wrapped up in methodical thinking. I believe letting Saddam sit in a jailhouse somewhere to repent his sins would have been an affective action, and (economically speaking) far less costly than a lengthy execution trial as Jake has told me. In reading over the post-execution remarks from different countries and their leaders the US was basically the only nation that didn’t proclaim it as being inhumane. It seems our culture, which is pumped full of propaganda about ‘justice’ and ‘evil doers’ is too wiled up to think logically. Humans just shouldn’t murder, we are all living creatures and killing things hasn’t solved anyone’s problems, it only worsens and breaks the bond that all humans share, a life. If killing things is justice, that what is morality?

Posted by Blogger Po @ December 30, 2006 at 1:54 PM #
 

In the typical views of the world Saddam needed to be executed and brought to justice for his crimes. There where people who thought he was a great man. I don't agree with anything he has done at all. Murdering different factions of Muslim tribes is not a solution to whatever he may have thought would make his country great . If you look at it from the stand point of murdering innocent lives. I would say our president has Saddam beat there with US and Iraqi civilian lives lost, but I suppose our Presidents cause is more widely accepted and so when he endangers and gets innocents lives taken away it's alright. Saddam has his followers that believed he was just as our President does. The difference is we have more people who beleive our cause than his.


I'm not justifying anything here I am just giving the utmost general perspective. I completely agree Saddam was wrong doing and deserved justice, but it may have been the wrong justice. Filetgull said "I do, however, understand that the main objective is peace in Iraq, and I don't exactly know how this is going to affect that goal in the long run." I agree his execution may have not been the way to do it. His death may very well lead to more US and Allied Force (such as poland)deaths. It may have been better to let him sit in a cell for a year or so until his cancer got the best of him.

Posted by Blogger Unknown @ December 30, 2006 at 3:42 PM #
 

Tom, I totally agree with your view on the ‘perspective’ of the opposing ideologies and how it’s simply a matter of what the majority believe. I do however disagree that most of the civilized world believes in the death penalty. It does seem ironic that in order to restore peace the Iraqi people are killing a past dictator. In fact, it seems a bit counter intuitive to me. That being said, I think if I had been living in Iraq, or my family had been killed by Saddam, then I may indeed have an entirely different perspective on this situation. It’s really a tricky topic with no definite answers unless you believe in an ultimate truth to our existence.

Posted by Blogger Po @ December 30, 2006 at 4:33 PM #
 

woo-hoo-hoo

what a waste; Saddam had about as much presence in Iraq after his capture as I do at a motherfucking Tim McGraw concert. This action has done nothing but soothe the bloodlust of American and Iraqi fanatics who don't even understand the real situation. Killing Saddam will not stop the civil war that will/is happen/ing.

someone finally got the closure that they wanted...

150 counts of aggravated homicide really isn't that much (as other comments above have mentioned).
~3000 American dead+ 200,000+ Iraqi dead..

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ December 30, 2006 at 5:05 PM #
 
<< Home